Gearing Up for the Wilderness

Channel Islands Restoration sent me a checklist of things I'll need on San Nicolas Island. It had a few surprises on it.



Looks like I'll be making a few purchases before I go. But at least then I'll have the stuff for next time.

They also sent along a set of rules for visiting the island. One of them really stood out.



So no Kaepernicking. Well, it is a Navy base, after all.

But then there was also this one.



That was a heavier blow. I always take my camera with me when I go into the wilds, and on this trip I especially wanted to record as much as I could about the experience. At first, I thought about appealing to the organizers. I'm a children's author! I'm not interested in pictures of military secrets! How are pictures of plants and foxes going to jeopardize national security? But then I decided that would be acting a little too spoiled, so I will just make do without this time. There are restoration projects on islands that aren't military bases too, so maybe I can go and take pictures on those.

Only having such a limited connection back to the mainland will be a challenge. I'd already decided I wasn't taking my laptop, and I'm not that attached to my phone, but even so, I thought I'd still have some contact available. As it stands, I'm going to to be more out of touch with cyberspace than I've been since the days following my move to Ventura County, almost fifteen years ago.

Maybe that will be a good thing, a chance to live in the moment and focus on what I'm doing.

Since I'll be taking notes by hand, the old fashioned way, I made a slightly indulgent purchase and ordered these spiffy "indestructible" field notebooks. They look fun. We'll see what sorts of things I write down in them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Lights in a Dark World

Some days, I feel like I need a Japanese pen name

To post or not to post, that is the question.