Change of Focus

After this past week, I needed something to restore my hope for the future. This afternoon, I found it.



I have a new hero, too - Dr. Serena McCalla of Jericho High School on Long Island, champion science fair coach. That's my brother's turf. I wonder if either he or my sister-in-law knows her.

It's been quite a while now since I realized that I couldn't do anything about the mess our country is in right now, and that my attention and my energies would be of more use if I focused them on my books. Recent events have only confirmed that belief, and now the election is just a few weeks away. But it's been really hard to tear my attention away from the unending disaster that's been unfolding. Things being as bad as you thought they'd be, and then some, is hard not to think about.

Fortunately, there's this little documentary called Science Fair. It follows a group of students as they qualify for and then participate in the 2017 The International Science and Engineering Fair (which was held right here in Los Angeles). If you were on the verge of giving up hope that things could ever get better, hang in there and see this movie. It will give you new inspiration and motivation.

The kids who appear in Science Fair don't need my books, but there are younger kids coming up behind them who might be able to use them. I need to keep at it.

And meanwhile, this blog will probably start featuring more posts about what I'm writing or what I want to write or just ways to help kids who want to do math or science. My hit count will probably go down, but so will my blood pressure, so I'll take it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bright Lights in a Dark World

Some days, I feel like I need a Japanese pen name

To post or not to post, that is the question.